tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 19 09:15:13 1995

Re: That's my name, don't use it up.

On Sat, 17 Jun 1995 R.B Franklin wrote

>On Fri, 16 Jun 1995, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

>>>From: [email protected]
>>
>>>r'Hul = roll the r and suddenly stop, "hech" the H and blend it into the
>>><ul>. Use a lot of phlegm. This is based on the Russian "Ruchelle", a
>>>variation of Rachel. (There, now you know my secret identity.{{:-) >)
>>>There is no "u as in uh" in tlhIngan Hol, but "uh" is a glottal stop.
>>>That's why I used it.
>>
>>Tricky. Basically using "r" as vowel, before the consonant '. Since I do
>>a lousy job trilling my r's anyway, I can't do much with this. Near as I
>>can see, it would tend to wind up sounding like "rI'Hul", much as the
>>Sanskrit vocalic .r is generally pronounced rI.
>
>I agree with ~mark and would use something like {rI'Hul}.

Yes, but I really dislike the <rI> sound.  If you guys have a hard time rolling
your r's, how in the world do you get through the sexual attraction growls?
{{:-)  >

>> As to Ruchelle, if you mean like what you hear in Fiddler on the Roof, yes,
>> that's a diminuative of "Rachel" from Hebrew "raHel" (accent on the last
>> syllable), re-stressed in Yiddish to have initial stress, whereupon the
>> second vowel degraded and the first one changed to more like "u", plus the
>> usual Yiddish second-order diminuative -(el)e used on names (Dovele,
>> Chavale, Rifkele, etc).
>
>"Rachel" in Russian is <RaHil'>. (Here the (') is not a glottal stop, it
>means the "l" is palatalized.) As ~mark said, "Ruchelle" is probably
>Yiddish.

Okay, how about a very Russian Yiddish.  I said it was a variation, not an exact
translation.

>yoDtargh

r'Hul
It's my name and I'm sticking to it.