tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 12 21:06:44 1995

Re: tay or toq (was Re: What's wrong with "which"?)

Mon, 12 Jun 1995 ghItlh Soqra'tIS:

> Soqra'tIS 'oH pongwIj'e'
> yIlo'qu' yIHeghbej joq petaQ  <*pthew*>

{joq} is used to join nouns, not verbs or sentences.  It means "and, or ,
or both".  If you are trying to say "Use it or you will certainly die,
petaQ", it would be:  yIlo' pagh yIHeghbej petaQ.

You could also say:  Dalo'be'chugh vaj bIHeghbej petaQ.  (If you do not
use it, then you will certainly die, petaQ.)

bong ponglIj vInopmo' bIQuchHa''a'?
petaQ chopong'a'?  HoS lI' Dalo'Ha'chu' taHqeq!

> If the question is "which planet of this star system [contains life forms]?"
> then shouldn't the proper question have been "Which planet of this star
> system is inhabited?" [I DO GET THE POINT that the original question, in
> DIvI' Hol was to translate that into tlhIngan Hol, MY question is in the
> correct wording for the question].
>
> "Civilization" is a subjective term. I don't care which planet is
> "civilized", I do care if it is "inhabited" or not. UNcivilized worlds, we
> conquer (to bring them civilization). Civilized worlds we make treaties
> with (THEN we conquer 'em).

toqlaH yuQ 'ach chaq tayqeq lughajbe' yuQvetlh nganpu'.  tayqeq
lughajbe'chugh yuQ nganpu' vaj taybe' ghaH.  toq yuQ jIjatlhchugh tay yuQ
jIjatlh 'e' vIHechba'be'.  yuQmey tay bIHbe' toqbogh yuQmey puS'e'.

> Soqra'tIS [email protected]

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level