tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 12 06:07:09 1995

tay or toq (was Re: What's wrong with "which"?)

Fri, 9 Jun 1995 23:09:06 -0400 ghItlhta' yoDtargh:

>On Fri, 9 Jun 1995 [email protected] wrote:
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Soqra'tIS 'oH pongwIj'e'
yIlo'qu' yIHeghbej joq petaQ  <*pthew*>

>> Something about this post botherd me, but it wasn't until just now that I
>> realized what it was. I don't have the original post but this is from
>> *ghunchu'wI'(s') reply to *yoDtargh.
>>
>> On Mon, 5 Jun 1995 08:15:37 -0400
>> Alan Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> What bothered me is, WHY would one ask {tay Hovtay'vam yuQ nuqDIch?}?
>> Wouldn't the correct question be {toq Hovtay'vam yuQ nuqDIch?}?
>>
>> tay(v)- be civilized; toq(v)- be inhabited
>>
>> This may be an elephant and flea question, but I was overexposed to Lewis
>> Carroll as a child, and I need to know what YOU (the original author) mean
>> by the word {tay} in that sentence.
>
>The original sentence was "Which planet of this star system is civilized?"

Let me re-ask my question with a preface:
Earth is inhabited but uncivilized.
Kronos is inhabited AND civilized.

If the question is "which planet of this star system [contains life forms]?"
then shouldn't the proper question have been "Which planet of this star
system is inhabited?" [I DO GET THE POINT that the original question, in
DIvI' Hol was to translate that into tlhIngan Hol, MY question is in the
correct wording for the question].

"Civilization" is a subjective term. I don't care which planet is
"civilized", I do care if it is "inhabited" or not. UNcivilized worlds, we
conquer (to bring them civilization). Civilized worlds we make treaties
with (THEN we conquer 'em).

If my Capt. were to ask me to scan the Sol system and then ask me {tay
Hovtay'vam yuQ nuqDIch?}["Which planet of this star system is civilized?"],
I would have to answer {"pagh"}["none"].
If instead he were to ask me {toq Hovtay'vam yuQ nuqDIch?}["Which planet of
this star system is inhabited?"], I would then have to respond with
{"wejDIch yuQ"}["3rd planet"].

Picking Nits or Socratic debate? You tell me, er.... HIja'.

      vay' yIHub Hoch 'ej Hoch tIHub vay' - DumaS
vIta'pu'be' !!!   tlhIngan ghaH *Bart Simpson*'e'
Soqra'tIS           [email protected]

Back to archive top level