tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 08 10:36:30 1995

Re: Q: Poker Terms

>Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 08:44:54 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: Marc Ruehlaender <[email protected]>

>I've only just joined the KLI and received HolQeD 4:1

>I've got a question about deal/misdeal

>Are those terms sanctioned by Okrand? From what I read
>in TKD ghomHa' "scatters, disperses" is obviously
>ghom "assembles" and -Ha' "undo", so *ghomHa'Ha' is
>not grammatical - you cannot "undo wrongly".

In case you missed it in the HolQeD, the poker-usages of those terms were
coined by Captain Krankor, and thus are not "official" in the sense of
being canonized by Okrand.  I suppose at least you can say they are slang
terms.

Yes, -Ha' has two meanings, both "undo" and "wrongly."  So "ghomHa'" can be
"dealing" (scattering the cards), but how to talk about misdeals?  Good
question.  Perhaps "ghomHa' 'e' ta'Ha'" (he mis-accomplished un-gathering).
That would seem to be a good one.

>I suppose you'd have to distinguish by adverbials,
>e.g. chIch ghomHa' "deals" and bong ghomHa' "misdeals".
>Those are probably not the best choices but you'd
>understand the phrases only if told anyway, so...

Um... they're okay, but I think of "bong" more like "he dealt by accident",
not that the deal was wrong in any way.

>And what would you say for suit? Maybe qorDu''a'?
>I'm not much of a poker player, why HeDon for "see"
>instead of 'ang?

Because to "see" in poker means "to put into the pot an amount of money
sufficient to cover the bet made against you."  In this case, this is being
viewed as "paralleling" a bet just made by an opponent.  So if you bet
5DeQ, I would "see" it by betting 5DeQ also, following a parallel course,
metaphorically.  Geddit?

>vISovnIS <Skat> wIQujnISmeH tlhIngan jIH je

vaj tIchenmoH! :)

~mark

Back to archive top level