tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 08 10:52:09 1995

Re: Re Coffee

>Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 12:23:45 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected]

>>> I'm confused. (But that's a normal state.) You seem to be using
>>> definitions of <yIH> and <bogh> I'm not familiar with. I haven't
>>> gotten the back issues of HolQeD yet. Please, enlighten.
>>>
>>> r'Hul
>>>
>>"I want to repeatedly drop a tribble into very hot mocha. When
>>it dies, it is very good for me to eat. The outside, which is
>>sweet, contains an area between, which is crunchy."
>>
>>charghwI'

>Thanks.  I thought "<crunchy> be born" was a little weird.  I didn't
>realize that you can put #9 verb suffixes on adjectives.

Be careful.  Klingon DOESN'T HAVE ADJECTIVES.  It has nouns and verbs and a
few other things.  What we in English express with adjectives, Kllingon
generally (not always) expresses with verbs.  "Being big" is a *verb*, it's
something you do, not some description.  charghwI' was importing "crunchy"
into Klingon by quoting it, but he can't invent new parts of speech, so he
was importing it as a verb meaning "to be crunchy".  So it's a verb suffix
on a verb, as expected.

~mark

Back to archive top level