tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 08 10:16:22 1995

Re: Re PetaQ

>Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 17:48:07 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected]

>I would accept "wIjjup" for "my friend" only because of some of the
>translations I have made in the tlhIngan Hol. When you receive mail that says
>"spying government for my you are Federation data communications"(Direct
>English translation) and they mean "You are spying on my govenment
>communication transmissions from the Federation" you have to learn to be
>LENIENT and interperate with some le-way. Otherwise half the mail I receive
>would be gibberish.

If you want to look at it that way.  But that doesn't make that sort of
speech *correct*.  It makes it wrong but you can stand it.  Sort of like
the famous sentence:

This <forgot word> contains several nonslarkish English flutzpahs, but the
overall pluggandsip can be glorked from context.

Sure, most English-speakers can work out the meaning and be lenient... but
it doesn't make "flutzpah" a word, no matter how sure you are of what you
heard.  "wIjjup" is NOT correct Klingon (leastways it doesn't mean "my
friend", which is jupwI').  That's what the dictionary says.  If you'd
rather invent a version of Klingon in which that's correct, well and good,
but don't believe it's "official" Klingon in any way, since it isn't, any
more than "flutzpah" is an English word.

> And scince B'Elanna, the tera'ngan half, was being very
>negative, I think the "negative woman" fits,

I've been meaning to ask.  "taH" doesn't mean negative, it means "be at a
negative angle", presumably meaning "pointing downward" or something.  I'm
pretty sure both B'Elanna's were mostly upright at the time.  So it
*doesn't* fit.

Interesting.  When you first voiced this thought you said:

>>I think that it means or refers to a
>>"Negative woman"
>>However the KLI grammerians will have to confirm this.

But now that the KLI Grammarians *have* spoken, you refuse to accept our
words?  I suppose you were literal when you said we "will have to confirm
this"; i.e. we MUST confirm and may not deny.  In which case why bother
asking, if you will only accept one answer?

When I told Okrand of your reading (he was NOT involved in shooting that
episode, so even if you're right, unless we accept the inventions of the
script-writers and actors as gospel, this is still not official Klingon),
he said "Wha---??" in a tone of extreme surprise and disbelief.  But of
course you need not believe me.  In which case you will not believe me when
I post the results of what Dr. Okrand said about how to say "I saw the ship
on which the captain hit the child" in HolQeD either.  If you will believe
nothing but what you receive personally from Okrand, you will not be
up-to-date on Klingon, I fear.

~mark

Back to archive top level