tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 06 07:11:28 1995

Re: PetaQ

>Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 17:31:13 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected]

>[email protected] (Matthew Fairley) wrote:
><My question is to do with the word PetaQ

>I think that the word is misunderstood. According to my reserch it should
>read,
>"be'taH"

Why?  Check page 178 (5.5 in the addendum).  It's listed as an epithet.
OK, we have no translations for epithets, but that's not really all that
surprising.

>A direct translation of this is,
>"Woman(of female) be at a negative angle"
>I think that it means or refers to a
>"Negative woman"
>However the KLI grammerians will have to confirm this.

UGH.  No, I won't confirm it at all.  We have ZERO support for such a
reading, and if it is correct it's obviously incredibly idiomatic (Okrand
wouldn't spring an idiom like that on us without warning, would he?)

~mark

Back to archive top level