tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 06 06:06:22 1995

Re: PetaQ

Since the original poster posted in English, he may not
understand the response written in Klingon. I will offer a
translation:

According to R.B Franklin:
> On Mon, 5 Jun 1995 [email protected] wrote:
>
> > [email protected] (Matthew Fairley) wrote:
> > <My question is to do with the word PetaQ
> >
> > I think that the word is misunderstood. According to my reserch it should
> > read,
> > "be'taH"
> > A direct translation of this is,
> > "Woman(of female) be at a negative angle"
> > I think that it means or refers to a
> > "Negative woman"
> > However the KLI grammerians will have to confirm this.
>
> jIQoch.  <petaQ> 'oH mu'Hey'e' 'e' vIHar.  qaStaHvIS lutHommey puS mu'vam
> tu'lu'law'.

"I disagree. I believe that the apparent word is <petaQ>. While
a few little stories happen one apparently finds this word."

> > yo' 'aj Lessem
> > ra'wI'
> > 'ejyo'ra'
> > yuQjIjDIvI'

[I don't translate ranks. It is one of those things that fail
to have exact English equivalents.]

> DanumHa'lu'pu''a'?  jabbI'IDlIj Qav DaghItlhDI' la'quvqoq SoH.

"Have you been demoted? When you wrote your last message, you
were a so-called honor-commander."

> yoDtargh

I'm in agreement with yoDtargh. The word is {petaQ} and it has
no literal translation. It is essentially something you call
someone you don't like or admire very much, and if you say it
to their face, you also indicate that you are not unwilling to
fight them, since the likelihood of that response to this
insult is rather high.

charghwI'
--

 \___