tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 02 19:42:51 1995

Re: Gerundives

On Fri, 2 Jun 1995 [email protected] wrote:

> Reading makes me tired.
>
> How do we get the gerundive "reading" from the verb "reads" in Klingon using
> the root "laD"?

Klingon forms nouns from verbal roots by using {-ghach}.  Thus "reading",
when used as a noun, could be translated as {laDtaHghach} (the ongoing
process of reading).  You could say {muDoy'choHmoH laDtaHghach} or
{laDtaHghachwIjmo' jIDoy'}.

Note that Okrand has not completely described all the uses and
limitations of {-ghach}.  We do know that it commonly is not used with a
bare verb stem but it can be used in conjunction with Type 7 (aspective)
verb suffixes.  (HolQeD 3.3)

Also note that just because a process or activity is expressed as a noun
in English does not mean that the same idea is a noun in Klingon.
Klingon predominantly prefers uses verbs to describe a process rather
than using a noun to name that same process.  Thus you could also (and
perhaps preferably) say:  jIlaDtaHmo' jIDoy'.

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level