tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 03 02:57:48 1995

Ditransitives (Re: mu'qaD - KLBC)

On Mon, 29 May 1995 16:26:40 -0400, "R.B Franklin" <[email protected]> said:
> Sun, 28 May 1995 ghItlh 'Iwvan:

>> Is {tuQmoH} being used as a ditransitive verb (one with
>> two objects) [...]?

> Klingon seems to have three ways to express a sentence with two objects.

> 1.  One way is to place the (direct) object before the verb and use
> a verb  prefix to indicate the other (indirect) object:
> vaghSaD DeQ HInob.  (Give me 5000 credits.)  (PK)
> ro'qegh'Iwchab HInob.  (Give me the rokeg blood pie.) (PK)

[...]

> It is interesting to note that verb prefixes seems to be able to
> indicate either the direct object or indirect object of the verb as
> indicated by 1 & 3 above.

It is equally interesting that the only verb which behaves in this way
is {nob} `give'.

When I mentioned objects, I wasn't thinking of constituents bearing
the case suffix {-vaD}.  From my reading of _tKD_ I had been left with
the impression that a Klingon clause may contain the following:

  (1) A subject, with which the verb agrees in number and person.  If
  overtly expressed, it is located after the verb and marked by {-'e'}
  (if focussed) or nothing (otherwise).

  (2) An object, with which the verb also agrees in number and person.
  If overtly expressed, it is located before the verb and marked by {-'e'}
  (if focussed) or nothing (otherwise).

  (3) Any number of oblique constituents, located before the verb (and
  before the object, unless the latter is focussed) and marked by the
  appropriate Type 5 case suffixes ({-Daq}, {-vaD}, {-vo'}, {-mo'}).

The {nob} examples in _PK_ deviate strongly from this.  The verb in them
doesn't agree in person and number with the object (the bare noun phrase
located before it); rather, it agrees with an oblique constituent, which
would be marked by a Type 5 suffix, if it were present (eg {jIHvaD}).
Such a construction is not catered for by _tKD_; it could be a late
addition to the grammar, perhaps an unconscious anglicism, in view of
the superficial similarity between {chab HInob} and _give me the pie_.

Question (to be added to the `Ask Marc' list, I presume): Which other
verbs behave like {nob}?  It is indeed conceivable that causatives
formed from transitive verb might belong to this category.   (They do
in Arabic, for instance.)

--'Iwvan

Back to archive top level