tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 02 19:08:42 1995

Re: "be proud of"

On Fri, 2 Jun 1995 [email protected] wrote:

>      I think our problem is that MO used an adjective to make a verb.(i.e.
>      proud is not a verb by itself)  That adjective has many definitions.
>      Why can't we use all of them?

The word "proud" has many definitions.  My dictionary includes such
meanings as "grand, magnificient", "turgid or swollen, as a river in
flood" and "excited sexually:  used of a female animal".  Clearly, these
are inappropriate translations for the word {Hem}.  Remember, Klingon is not
English.  Just because an English word may have several unrelated
meanings, does not mean the Klingon equivalent carries all the same
connotations.  You have to draw the line somewhere.

Also note that the reverse is also true.  Many Klingon words have several
connotations or meanings which can't be summed up by any single English
word.  E.g. {ghoS} & {vay'}.

>      r'Hul

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level