tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 25 14:12:34 1995

Re: (n) orbit?

>Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 07:06:01 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: Alan Anderson                        <[email protected]>

>However, in the spirit of encouraging discussion, I offer this.  As I was leafing
>at random through TKD, I came across the following relevant set of definitions:
>    {Don} = (v) parallel, be parallel, go parallel to
>  {HeDon} = (n) parallel course
>{He} = (n) course, route

Note, though, that all of these definitions are very close in meaning.

>Since we also know that
>    {bav} = (v) orbit
>I suggest we consider the possibility that
>  {Hebav} = (n) orbital course or path        ** proposed new word
>I'm proposing a newly _discovered_ word, of course, not a newly _invented_ one! :-)

This would be a noun-verb compound, something which we do not know we are
permitted to do.  Alternatively, you can consider it to be "He bav",
considering bav adjectivally, but see below.

>If we stretch just a little, we might try to use {bav} as an adjective.
>    {bav} = (v) orbit, be an orbit            ** proposed extension to definition
>Then {He bav} would do just fine without needing an entirely new word.

"to orbit" and "to be an orbit" are vastly different concepts.  I see that
you're trying to get something like "bavbogh He".  I would accept that,
since in a sense a route can be considered to "go" someplace (a road goes
north and south, etc), and thus the route could be considered to "orbit"
the planet.  But "bav" is not a stative-type verb, and we have not been
free about using just any old verb adjectivally.

>nuq bIQub?

"boQub" Daja' DaneH, qar'a'?

~mark

Back to archive top level