tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 23 04:29:11 1995

Re: Bucket of tongues

> > Then what <is> the Klingon for "an X-ful of Y" = "the amount of Y that can
> > fit into an X"?
>
> Possibly it translates as "tongues which fill a bucket" or "a bucket which
> tongues fill". I'm not that good with relative clauses yet, so hopefully
> one of the masters will handle this - I'll be interested to see the
> translation.
I know what you meant, but literally I could ask
"with what are they (the tongues!) filling the bucket?"

mark suggested: "bucket which has been filled with tongues"
that is the object (and it seems like this is what Klingons
use most often), but what is the Quantity of "a bucketful"
i.e. "amount of X, that fits into a bucket to completely fill it"

I don't have the grip on Klingon to decide whether or not
this is translatable as such, but maybe someone could
paraphrase my construction so that it becomes translateable?

				Marc 'Doychlangan'

Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany