tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 23 08:40:57 1995

Re: Bucket of tongues

>Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 07:37:33 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: Marc Ruehlaender <[email protected]>

>mark suggested: "bucket which has been filled with tongues"
>that is the object (and it seems like this is what Klingons
>use most often), but what is the Quantity of "a bucketful"
>i.e. "amount of X, that fits into a bucket to completely fill it"

My point was that in, say, Hebrew, there really is no really natural way to
say "the amount" without saying "a cup full of sugar".  I suppose you can
say "a filling of a cup of sugar", but that would sound a little archaic in
Hebrew.  I mean that you don't really *need* a phrase for amount and not
container: you can get by without it.

~mark

Back to archive top level