tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 15 06:20:45 1995

Re: word count

According to [email protected]:

> ... Has anybody really COUNTED these words before?
>
> >charghwI'
>
> Using the word list that I compiled from TKD, CK, PK, "HolQeD" 1:3, 3:2, I've
> come up with 1620 words. This includes 1513 roots and 107 derived forms. I
> estimate the margin of error at 4.67%. The derived forms would of course sky
> rocket if all example sentences from the dictionary and tapes were included,
> and possibly also dialog from the movies.
>
> Guido

Thanks. I don't intend to take any derived words from canon
other than TKD, except perhaps for noun-noun constructions or
other combinations that are unlike that which would be
expected. I presume that derived forms are usually listed
either because the result is not altogether expected ({HeghmoH}
= "be fatal") or because the resulting word relates to an
English word that one would likely tend to look up ("like" =
{parHa'}, "teach" = {ghojmoH}).

Hmmm. With a definition like "fatal, be fatal", it would seem
that {HeghmoH} could be used adjectivally, making it the only
example I know of {-moH} used on a verb being used
adjectivally. It is also the only example I know of a
potentially intransitive result of {-moH}, though this is
perhaps a twist in the link between Klingon and English.

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \