tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 14 17:08:32 1995

Re: word count

>I seem to remember comments made to the effect that there were
>about 1,200 words in the Klingon vocabulary. As I transfer
>words from my huge Microsoft Word file (my AKD) to my Access
>database in preparation for crosslinking into all the canon
>examples I can muster, I just passed 1,400 words and I'm barely
>beyond {tI}. Has anybody really COUNTED these words before?

>charghwI'

Using the word list that I compiled from TKD, CK, PK, "HolQeD" 1:3, 3:2, I've
come up with 1620 words. This includes 1513 roots and 107 derived forms. I
estimate the margin of error at 4.67%. The derived forms would of course sky
rocket if all example sentences from the dictionary and tapes were included,
and possibly also dialog from the movies.

Guido

Back to archive top level