tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 14 12:56:53 1995

Re: PK

>Date: Sun, 12 Feb 1995 04:54:18 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: Riku Anttila <[email protected]>

My mail went blooey a little, and I seem to have lost a day or two of it
(Friday evening and Saturday).  It may turn up eventually, but my answers
to it will be sort of out of order.

>While still waiting for a reply to my observations and questions
>concerning CK, I listened to my PK over and over again.

>Can somebody make out what is said in the opening dialogue?

>--8<--
>nuqneH?
>  'IH jaj qar'a'? maja'chuqjaj (?)
>jISaHbe'.
>  bISaHbe' qatlh bIjatlh? chaq SoHvo' vay vIje' vIneH.
>tugh! SuH.. bIje'be'chugh vaj bIHegh.
>quvwIj DatIchpu', tera'ngan.
>(rIntaH? ??..???)
>  erm.. yIjotchoH!
>  err.. Dochvetlh yIchagh (?)
>--8<--

That sounds more or less right; this may have been written up already in a
HolQeD.  Try searching the archives of this list; I'm sure it was brought
up already.

>Do you think "boiling wormwine" is a strange compound,
>{pubtaHboghghargh HIq} or even {pubtaHboghgharghHIq}?

Strange?  No.  Compound?  No.  pubtaHbogh ghargh HIq.  It's noun-noun
construction in a -bogh phrase.  The first noun is "ghargh", the second is
"HIq", giving "worm wine".  "pubtaH ghargh HIq" would mean "the worm wine
is boiling", but if you add -bogh onto the verb you get "the worm wine
*which* is boiling."  Simple and straightforward.

Alternatively, you can view it as noun-noun construction differently: The
first noun is "pubtaHbogh ghargh", which comes from the clause "pubtaH
ghargh"/the worm(s) is/are boiling, and with -bogh becomes "the worm(s)
which is/are boiling".  That noun-phrase then participates in noun-noun
construction with "HIq", yielding "wine of worms which are boiling" (tus
implying that it's the worms that boil and not the wine.  The first reading
made more sense to me).

>"Have you seen my phaser?"
>  {puHIjwIj Dalegpu} (?) [NONSTANDARD DIALECT]
>  {pu'HIchwIj Daleghpu'}
>(Neither looks like a question to me?)

Yeah, looks like he missed his -'a'.

>It seems that there is a sound of g in another dialect of Klingon.

Yup.  And h (I heard puhichwIj).

>"Get off that transporter control panel!"
>  {jolSeHlaw lIghQa'!}?

No.  I had thought this was "lIghHa'" (what kind of word is *lIghQa'
anyway?  There's no such suffix as -Qa'), which would make sense... but
Okrand has told us it's "lItHa'", which unfortunately doesn't help us in
the slightest, since who knows what lIt means?  The sentence isn't really
clear enough to hazard a guess.

>"Curse warfare has definately begun."
>  {taghbej mu'qaD veS.}?

That's what I heard, which shows that "tagh" can be used intransitively.

>Finally, what does the impressed klingon say to the terran who
>successfully commanded his Qogh to sit? (final dialogue)

Erm... I have to listen to the tape again...

> .:ghor:.

~mark

Back to archive top level