tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 17 17:42:22 1995

Re: }} jIHvaD Seng mu'meyvam

According to [email protected]:

> As many of you have done, I keep my own annotated dictionary
> gheyIl
>
> Errors in TKD (first printing 1992) *****************************
> 2 Sec. 5.5 has ghuy'cha' [general invective] while
>   Addendum 5.5 has ghay'cha' - is this a typo?

We are presuming that they are two different words.

> 3 The Appendix (p 170) has {Your nose is shiny} as
>   {boch ghIchraj}. Shouldn't this be <ghIchlIj>?

Yes.

> 7 K-E has {mojaq}, E-K has {mojaQ}. Which is correct?

This has not been established. It should be on the list of
things to get straight with Okrand.

> New words and errors in CK (Conversational Klingon) *************
> 3 Qutlh [be cheap - v]

I heard that as {qutlh}.

> 4 wagh [be expensive - v]

I heard that as {waH}, though it is really hard to tell. Again,
we need Okrand to settle spelling on verbal canon.

> 8 At the bar, the escort tells the Terran
>   [Klingon warriors are butting heads] as
>   {qip'egh nachDu'chaj tlhIngan SuvwI'pu'}. Shouldn't this be
>   {nachDu'chaj qipchuq tlhIngan SuvwI'pu'}.

I would think it should be:

qIp'chuq tlhIngan SuvwI'pu' nachDu'.

or

nachDu'chaj qIpchuqmoH tlhIngan SuvwI'pu'.

> New words and errors in PK (Power Klingon) **********************
> 5 HuH [bile - n] from
>   {jagh lucharghlu'ta'bogh HuH ghopDu'lIj lungaSjaj}
>   [may the bile of the vanquished fill your hands]
>   Also, shouldn't <ghopDu'lIj> follow <lungaSjaj>?

HolQeD has explained this. Ancient sayings using {-jaj} appear
to use the Object-Subject-Verb word order. The main thing is to
recognize that ancient sayings are to be said exactly as given.
It does not matter if they seem to be ill-formed grammatically.

> 7 When ordering [don't lick my forehead] it sounds like MO says
>   {QuchwIj <DroS>Qo'}. I know that can't be correct. What is the
>   correct word for [lick]?

{roS}. Okrand seems to be rolling his "r" differently than
usual on this word, but we agree that the likely spelling has
no {D}.

> New words from popular usage ************************************
> 4 teS [ear - n] I can't remember where I saw this one.

HolQeD vol 2, No. 4.

> 5 bom - I've seen this recently. What does it mean?

It is the verb "sing" or the noun "song". It is explained in
the same issue of HolQeD (2:4).

> 6 vatlhDIS [century - n]
> 7 SaDDIS [millenium - n]

I would be a little cautious on these. They kinda work, but I
would not consider them canon yet.

Everything else looked reasonable.

charghwI'
--