tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 09 13:57:13 1995

}} Re:

On Wed, 9 Aug 1995 Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

>"You shame yourself" is indeed reasonable for "Shame on you!"  I was
>exploring other possibilities, which sounded to me a little more
>idiomatic.  If, as in Klingon, the concept of "to be ashamed" is a
>single unit, one verb, then "bItuHnIS" is a nice package for "You should
>be ashamed."  What does "Shame on you" mean?  It sounds to me like "You
>are deserving of shame..."  I don't see much difference in basic meaning
>between it and "You should be ashamed."

Sounds good.  At the time, I was thinking along the lines of "You bring shame on
yourself."  So I looked up <shame>.  Saw a verb.  Thought it sounded good to
say, "You shame yourself."  I put a prefix & the possessive suffix on.  At the
time I had no idea that <shame> was a verb+suffix.  Live 'n' learn.

>~mark

r'Hul

Back to archive top level