tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 01 23:17:03 1995

Re: }} KLBC (Pets are everywhere)

On Tue, 1 Aug 1995, Laurel Beckley wrote:

> Ok, I think I've got the N-N construction figured out.  Or maybe not.  I
> have another question now.  How would you say Pets are everywhere?  Would
> it be Sajmey Dat?  I'm a little confused with some of these things, but
> then I'm still a beginner.  Am I getting the N-N thing confused again?
> Would pets are everywhere be N-N again?  Or would it be Dat Sajmey?  It
> wouldn't be everywhere's pet. or pet's everywhere?  Gosh, I wonder if
> I'll every get this right. Dat is a noun, isn't it?  I've been studying
> the TKD, but I'm not sure of all  of it.

Here you would say: Dat bIH Sajmey'e'.
You do not actually use a noun-noun construction to say this.  This is a
"to be" construction.  (See Sec. 6.3.)  You use this to say "X is a Y" or
"X is at Y" or "X is in the Y".
qoH ghaH HoD'e'.  The captain is a fool.
Qo'noSDaq 'oH vaS'a''e'.  The Great Hall in on Kronos.
naDev chaH romuluSnganpu''e'.  The Romulans are here.

Noun-noun constructions are used to say "X of Y" or "Y's X".
matlh mu'ghom  "Maltz's dictionary" or "the dictionary of Maltz".

Note that certain nouns used to describe locations don't need to use the
locative suffix {-Daq}.  These include {naDev} (here), {pa'} (there) and
{Dat} (everywhere).

> Laurel

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level