tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 09 10:02:01 1995

Re: }} Re: your mail

On Tue, 8 Aug 1995, ghItlh janSIy:

> Except to me, "nuqneH" says something like, "whatdayawant?"
> For, "What do YOU want?" I would say, "nuq DaneH SoH"
> And since "nuqneH" is not used to greet someone, but rather to get their
> attention, I would count it as a hail not a greeting.  I think Okrand
> only labeled it a greeting as a general category and didn't stop to think
> about the fact that it was really a hail.  Remember that he has also said
> that Klingon does not have greetings.
>
> janSIy

As {nuqneH} is s'posed to be a *polite* greeting/hail/whatever, *I* think
of it as "How may I help you?"

If you're gonna greet Death with this, I think you've gotta make sure it's
understood that you say it *scornfully*. I agree that {nuq DaneH SoH}
does that better, not only because it emphasizes the "you", but because
it gets away from a phrase that is usually considered polite.

Peace and Long Life 'ej Qapla'
Liz (tlheghmeQ joq)

Back to archive top level