tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 07 15:52:40 1995

Re[6]: }}} Dialects (was:...

Too much mail? Try the [email protected] version of this list!
On Mon, 7 Aug 1995 Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

>FWIW, the Hamlet translation calls the King "ta'" and the Queen "ta'be'". Yes,
>we know it sounds like "didn't accomplish."  Life's rough.

"ta'be'" doesn't just sound like "didn't accomplish", it is it.  Those of us
just starting would see a verb & suffix and translate as such.  Also, to me,
"emperor female" sounds strange.

I still don't see what is wrong with putting <be'> first.  After a quick glance
through TKD there are 3 female nouns that start with <be'> and only 1 that ends
with it.  (1 with a noun, 1 with a verb, & 1 unknown.)  There are 2 other nouns
that end in <be'>.  <lo'laHbe'> when it's a verb suffix.  And <rewbe'> (citizen)
were it seems to be part of the word.  Having <be'> at the front of the word
seems so easy.

Call me a stubborn <be'targh> but I'm going to keep putting it in front.
{{:-)   >

>~mark

r'Hul

Back to archive top level