tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 19 12:13:20 1995

yIHegh'eghrup

On Wed, 19 Apr 1995 13:57:21 -0400
chargwI' commented on Silauren, Half-Elven new .sig (tag line??):

>> *&* nuqneH. *Inigo Montoya* 'oH ponglIj'e'.  vavlI' DaHoHta'.
>> *&*    yIHegh'eghrup.
>> *&*           -- from the Princess Bride
>
>I love this quote, though I doubt that the {-'egh} belongs
>there. {Hegh} is intransitive and makes no sense in the
>reflexive. "Prepare yourself to die," is not the same thing as
>"Prepare to die yourself." You mean the former, but the Klingon
>sentence means the latter.
>
>charghwI'

Yes! I like it too. I was just watching it with my Nephew this Easter and
thought I'd try to put this line in the original Klingon, too. But someone
beat me to it (Good job Silauren!).

The English phrase is "Prepare to die", "yourself" doesn't belong there
(IMO), but that leaves us with {Heghrup} (can you say it like that?) or
{yIHeghrup}, I can see why Silauren wants to put the "onself" {-'egh} in
there, though.

>From a "cadence" point of view, {yIHeghrup} "sounds" better (to me).

      vay' yIHub Hoch 'ej Hoch tIHub vay'
                                          - DumaS
vIta'pu'be' !!!   tlhIngan ghaH *Bart Simpson*'e'
Steve Weaver       [email protected]

Back to archive top level