tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 17 15:52:24 1995

re: Easter Translation

On Mon, 17 Apr 1995, Kardasi wrote:

[...]
> i took the verb "to rise"("to resurrect") and gave it a Klingon equivalent
> >>yInqa'<< -- to resume living.  since the subject, QrISt, has completed the
> action (grammatically, he's no longer in the process of resurrecting), i added
> >>-ta'<< or >>-pu'<<, assuming a "has" trans.  To capture the theological
> point that QrISt rose according to his own prophecy and those of others, i
> narrowed it down to  >>-ta'<<.
> In other words,  I'm not so much trying to say that he continues to live
> again, but rather that he has completed a specific action -- the resumption of
> life (which would then implicitly allow him to continue living now,
> >>yIntaH<<.)
>
> Does >>yInqa'ta'<< at all capture the sentiment described above?  Or in
> working backwards have i still managed to miss the subtleties of the Klingon
> usage?  Given that frame of reference, would >>yInqa'ta'<< still imply that
> QrISt has finished living again (as opposed to resuming living)?  If so, would
> >>DaH<< fix it?  I get Eng and German nuances fairly well, i think; but i'm
> still just a wee baby, as far as tlh-H goes.  Again, comments and correction
> are perfectly welcome (I want to get it right!); and thanks for putting up
> with this rather long-winded commentary.

I think the choice of whether to use the perfective largely depends on
which verb you use.

If you wanted to literally say "He has risen" then you could say
{Hu'ta'} or to be more specific {molvo' Hu'ta'} (He has risen from the
grave).  Here, the perfective {-ta'} indicates that the act of
"getting up" or "rising" is completed and that it was done deliberately.

If I say {vISopta'} (I have eaten) this means the process of eating is
complete and I have stopped eating.  The problem with saying {yInta'}
(he has lived) is that it indicates that the act of living has been
completed, and he has stopped living, i.e. he is dead.

With respect to {yInqa'ta'}, I'm inclined to translate this as
"He has lived again" and not "He has resumed living."
The former would indicate:  He has lived, he died, he has lived again, and
now he is dead.
The latter implies:  He has lived, he died, now he has resumed living.
I'm not inclined to accept the latter translation.  I think
{yInqa'taH} (He continues to live again) would fit the meaning of the
latter better.

This is, however, an interesting grammatical question and I wouldn't mind
hearing from the Grammarians or the Ex-Beginners' Gammarian on this one.

> William ([email protected])

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level