tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 17 14:06:44 1995

Re: Fresh blood - 'Iw chu'

> doesn't accomplish anything (except maybe cause us to put more pressure
> on Jay et al. to fix it . . . but if he/they aren't responding to email,
> it's probably because they're busy elsewhere, and not because they're
> ignoring the mail.  So filling up their mailboxes with more requests that
> aren't getting read doesn't seem likely to fix anything either...)

Observation: Folks, I don't speak Klingon. I ignore almost any message that
comes down this list that's related to klingon. I -almost- missed this
thread, because it started off being a klingon thread, and I was ignoring
it.

If the subject of a thread changes, how about change the Subject??? That
way, people that may be interested in what you are then talking about, can
read about it.

> I've seen a hell of a lot of requests like this sent to the list, which
> would seem to suggest that there's something wrong with the automatic
> removal process.  Either it doesn't work, or doesn't work reliably, or the
> directions aren't clear enough - or else everyone who can't use it just
> can't follow directions in general, doesn't know where to get the directions,
> or is too lazy to bother trying.  We can't do much about laziness or
> inability to follow directions, but any of the other options should be
> repairable . . .

The listserv works -- For every 1 request that someone sends to the list,
I see HUNDREDS of people successfully subscribe and unsubscribe from the
list.  I see one or two of those types of messages a month (and your odd
mee too! messages), and I see usually 5 or 6 subscribes and unsubscribes
PER DAY. Generally, I find (by looking at the listserv logs) that 95% of the
"unsubscribe me" messages that get sent here are due to either ignorance
or laziness. In most cases, the person did something like mistype the
command, in the remaining few, I can't even find an attempt at an
unsubscribe message on file.

Unsubscribe messages sent to mailing lists are a way of life -- There's
just too many ignorant and non-caring people out there for it to be any
other way. I'm sure anyone that's on any other unmoderated mailing list
can confirm this.

There is NEVER a case when you should send an unsubscribe request directly
to the list. ANY TIME the listserver reports an error back to you (i.e.
a botched attempt to unsubscribe), it includes my email address as the
owner of the list, and the person to go to with problems. If you have
problems, email me, and I'll fix them. Really. Ask the dozens of happy
customers that I've already helped out.

Incidentally, I make it a _point_ not to unsubscribe people who post to
the list asking to be unsubscribed. I figure, if someone can't at LEAST
read basic instructions, then they deserve what they get.

For trivia, here's how to unsubscribe:

Send, IN THE BODY OF A MESSAGE (read: NOT THE SUBJECT):

unsubscribe tlhIngan-Hol

to the following email address:

[email protected]

If that doesn't work, read the error. It'll tell you, that if you have
problems, to email the following address:

[email protected]

It may take me a day or two (I've been VERY busy recently), but I'll get
you off the list if you want to be off. DON'T do like one person did, and
send a message at midnight, and turn around and mail the list at 4am saying
that the owner is ignorning you.

Do I sound irate? I've had a bad day, I don't feel well, and I'm really
getting quite tired of having to deal with this issue every month or so
because people aren't capable of reading the 'welcome' message that tells
them how to get off, or any of the other postings that mention it.

Remember, folks -- Your listowner is a human, too. A really NICE human who
has donated hundreds of hours of time and thousands of dollars of computer
gear to keep kli.org and this mailing list around. If you treat your
listowner well, your listowner will treat you well. Really.

#rant off

									-WW

Back to archive top level