tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 17 12:58:54 1995

Re: Epithets

According to R.B Franklin:

> > On Sun, 16 Apr 1995 [email protected] wrote:
> >
> > > What part of speech are the epithets (taHqeq, petaQ etc)?
>
> Let me clarify my previous response.  An epithet can behave as either a name
> or a noun.
>
> When using an epithet in direct address, it would function like a name
> and it would go at the beginning or end of the sentence.  E.g.
> {toDSaH bIjatlh 'e' yImev} or {bIjatlh 'e' yImev toDSaH}
>
> When using an epithet to refer to someone in the third-person, it would
> behave like a noun.  E.g.
>
> tajwIj nIHta' yIntaghvetlh.
>
> > > -- toDbaj
> >
> > yoDtargh

Just to add to this correct information, don't confuse the
general invectives with the epithets. Invectives should behave
as exclammations, like majQa'! or ghobe'! They are sentences
unto themselves and have no particular grammatical place in any
other sentence, except perhaps as quotations...

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \