tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 12 18:52:18 1995

Re: recent posts

On Wed, 12 Apr 1995, Alan Anderson wrote:

> I also want to apologize for my convoluted attempts to translate the words
> "candle" (I called it a "little-stick of little-fire") and "break (recess)"
> (which got a bit weird).  Somehow I missed them in the TKD's addendum.  (I
> still haven't seen a word for "umbrella" though.  If there were a verb for
> "deflect" and a noun for "rain" I'd call it a rain-deflecting shield...but
> I refuse to misuse the grammar intentionally.)

Actually, when I read your post, I knew exactly what you were trying to
say so it didn't occur to me to look in my TKD to see if the word
"candle" existed.  (I was surprised to find it did exist.)  On the other
hand, I wouldn't expect to find a Klingon word for "umbrella".  Somehow,
the very idea of Klingons carrying umbrellas strikes me as ludicrous.

I think you did an admirable job of expressing yourself, considering the
limited vocabulary at our disposal, and I enjoyed reading about your vacation.

> I might have to break down and start writing in my copy of TKD so that I
> have all the definitions in one list.  I've already retyped and printed
> out the prefix and suffix lists for easier reference, and I've considered
> putting together separate lists of pronouns, adverbs, number words, and
> "stative" verbs.  I suppose what I really need is an on-line dictionary.
> I have a Macintosh at home, so the MS-DOS pojwI' doesn't help me.

When I was memorizing these things, I put together similar lists and
hung them up next to my computer for easy reference.  I found the prefix and
suffix chart that comes with David Barron's postal course to be extremely
helpful.

> -- ghunchu'wI'

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level