tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 11 16:55:17 1995

Re: CK tape (klbc?)

On Tue, 11 Apr 1995, Niekel CN wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I was listening again to the conversational klingon tape, while trying
> to write down what was said in klingon. It went quite well until I came
> to the clock. They say that the time is said "the military way",
> 6 am is 6 hundred ours, and so on. Now, the klingon for this is
>         javvatlh rep
> (that's what is sounds like too). And it means 600 h1=, so it seems
> to be good, but then we get noon. I figure, that's 1200 h1=, so I'd say
>         wa'SaD cha'vatlh rep
> but that's _not_ what Okrand is saying. To me, what he says sounds like
>         cha'maH wa'vagh rep
> which is 20 100 h1ur (120 sh1uld be wa'vagh cha'maH, right?)

You found an obvious mistake in CK.  12 o'clock noon, or twelve hundred
hours should be {wa'maH cha'valth rep.}

> Do I not understand what he is saying, or do I not understand counting and
> clockwatching, or is Okrand wrong (not likely, I think).
> 7pm, (1900 h1=s) sounds to me as
>         wa'mach Hutvatlh rep
> and this could be said as 19 hundred h1urs, but then, that's not used in
> TKD. Can anyone explain this to me?

Klingons tell time, using a 24-hour clock, the same way the US military does.

In the military, 7 o'clock a.m. is 7:00 and is pronounced
"seven hundred hours".
In Klingon it's also {Sochvalth rep} (seven hundred hours).

A.m. hours begin at midnight, which is 00:00 (zero hundred hours)
and go to noon, 12:00 (twelve hundred hours).

After noon, the hours don't start over at 1 o'clock, instead, they
continue from 13:00 (thirteen hundred hours (1 o'clock p.m.)) and
continue up to 23:59 (twenty-three hundred, fifty-nine hours).

7 o'clock p.m. or 19:00 (nineteen hundred hours) is {wa'maH Hutvatlh
rep}.

> And something else, I noticed a few words, which are not listed in TKD,
> can someone tell me if I heard these words correctly?
>     'eq - be early
>     Sum - near

These are both correct.

>     Qutlh - be cheap