tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 28 08:13:49 1994

Re: To upload or not to upload

Hu'tegh! nuq ja' Mark E. Shoulson jay'?

=>Rhyme is rhyme; the definition of rhyme is not at issue. If anything *is*
=>at issue, it's whether rhyme is relevant to Klingon poetics. Until a Klingon
=>pops along, taps me on the shoulder, and tells me otherwise, I will continue
=>to use it; for a alliterative alternative to rhyme, see the Hecuba speech
=>in my translation of Hamlet.

=Nick, I'm surprised at you.  You know enough of linguistics to know that it
=isn't the case that "rhyme is rhyme".  Sounds that are considered to be
=rhyming ino one language may not be in another (e.g. in English very often
=just an identical final vowel qualifies as a rhyme, while in Hebrew you
=have to match more than that, since its inflections make almost anything
=rhyme by that definition).

Oh. Oh yeah. My point was that, when bare stems rhyme and can appear in texts
as lexemes, I wouldn't think there was anything controversial about them.
Nothing controversial about loD and SoD, for instance.

Nick.

Back to archive top level