tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 28 07:18:35 1994

Re: jIlIH'egh

   -=> Quoting Klingon Language List to Jennifer James <=-
   -=> on Stardate 06-17-94  09:22 <=-

jatlhpu' Holtej:

 KLL> nuqneH Jennifer!  tlhIngan Hol Dalo'mo', toDujlIj Da'ang.

chobatlhqu'.

 KLL> wa' QaghHom vItu'.

vIghojmeH pabwIj Dalugh vIneH

 > Holmey vIghojtaH vItIv.

 KLL> The use of {'e'} is sometimes tricky, and I
 KLL> still get caught on it.  You do use it correctly earlier
 KLL> in the post, so I figure it was just a simple oversight.

Oversight or incorrect choice, I'm not sure which.  The choice
whether or not to use {'e'} is so much like the choice in French
whether to use an infinitive or a subjunctive clause that I got
confused.  In French, it would have been an infinitive, so I left
out the {'e'}.  Anyway, thanks for the correction.  I'll watch out
for that.

 KLL> The sentence should be:

 KLL> Holmey vIghojtaH 'e' vItIv

jIyaj

 KLL> Other than that, your post was exemplary!  majQa'!

qatlho'neS

 KLL> This suggests that the
 KLL> suffix for "-self" should be {-'egh} (taking {'} as a consonant).

 KLL> So, I believe your subject should have been {jIlIH'egh}.
 KLL> Understandable mistake!

Correction made in my TKD copy.  Thanks.

I'm a beginning amateur linguist, so I may be asking a lot of
linguistics questions, if that's OK.  Question for the day:  is
enclosing English text (morphemes?  utterances?) in "" and tlhIngan
Hol (or whatever language is being analyzed) in {} standard
linguistic convention, or a convention that has been adopted by this
list?  Just curious.  :-)   Hope this isn't too off-topic for
English -- just want to know the proper terms & conventions for
talking about tlhIngan Hol in English.  Thanks!  :-)

Qapla'
Jennifer James

... Internet: [email protected]
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12