tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 26 03:54:38 1994

KLI on Internet

Many and sincere thanks to those of you who responded to the call for SIMMs
for the Sun 4/110 Workstation the KLI will be using.  I am pleased to say
that one member of this list has come forward and offerred to donate funds to
purchase the whole set of needed SIMMs.  This seems the easiest way to go,
and I am greatly appreciative, both to him, and to those of you who offerred
individual SIMMs.  Getting all 16 at one shot should lessen complications and
possible incompatibilities.  With any luck, we should be up by the end of the
coming week.

Coming to KLI.org will be a MUSH (or perhaps a MUSE or MOO, we're still
haggling).  Like many such environments there will be virtual rooms you can
move through.  However, the focus here will be to acquire and practice
Klingon.  There will be several locations on the MUSH (or whatever) which
will contain coded instruction to help guide you in your acquisition of
Klingon.

Similarly, there will be rooms throughout the MUSH which will remind you of
chapters from a language text, domain specific vocabulary and such.  E.g.,
Things to say in a bar, Getting a room in a hotel, Shopping, and so forth.
 In each of these settings you will be able to call up lists of relevant
vocabulary which you can work into conversations with others who might be
present.

Thus the MUSH will be part instructional, part role-play.  All in all, it
should be a nice addition to the KLI and our goal of fostering the language.
 And of course, as always, your input is most welcome.

Oh, and one more thing. Mark Shoulson had mentioned:

> Oooooh, *MUCH* too cool.  The trick now is getting
> a net connection.

We've got it.  :)

Lawrence

:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   ::