tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 23 00:47:35 1994

Re: KLI in the UK

According to Richard Kennaway:

> Dictionary inconsistency alert: is the word for "Deneb" "DenIb" (as in the
> K-E section) or "DenIbya'" (as in the E-K section)?  And can "Qatlh" on its
> own mean "slime devil", or only "difficult"?

We can only presume that either is okay. As for Qatlh, you must
remember that DenIbya Qatlh is not a literal translation of the
words "Denibian Slime Devil". It is the Klingon term for the
animal referred to in Fed Standard as "Denibian Slime Devil".
In all likelihood, Klingons are literally calling them
"Difficult Denibians". Of course, if faced with one, a Klingon
would naturally be attracted to have sport with the beasts, and
being rather tenacious, they would respectfully be referred to
as "difficult". Slime would not be so significant a feature
that we would necessarily refer to it at all. After all, a
targ's face tends to be rather mucoid...

charghwI'
---
muneH "Paramount", 'ach wej Sov chaH

Back to archive top level