tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 20 22:31:04 1994

Re: Father's Day Messages

>Well, the comment that "'e'" is the wrong word is valid.  It's a
>topicalizer.  In the word-by-word translation, it sounds more like you mean
>"so that", in which case you should use "-meH".  But that's not what you
>say you want.

Well, what *do* you want. I don't recall ever finding out what the original
English translation was. Of course, I don't like to think in terms of
English, but it looks as tho this is what's going on here. You posted your
attempt at a Fathers' Day message, and then various people began trying to
translate it, sometimes wrongly, and then giving their own alternatives for
their (false) interpretations of the English. Arggh!! Please enlighten us:
what were you trying to say???!!!

Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos

Back to archive top level