tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 17 15:24:14 1994

DI moj SuchwIpu'...

{Hol po'wI'pu', pabwIj bolughmoH vIneHneS.
thlIngan Hol vIghojtaH.}

******** tlhIngan wo' ra'ghomquvvo' jabbI'IDvam    ****************
******** qIb gharvaD Qap 'ay'                      ****************

....... Message from the High Command of the Klingon Empire ......
....... Department of Galactic Relations                    ......

We regret the recent incidents involving the deaths of Terran tourists
on Klingon worlds. For their own safety, we insist that all future
visitors are properly briefed on Klingon cultural etiquette and correct
use of language before engaging in any social interaction with the
people of the Klingon Empire.
We have been able to piece together some of the events leading up to the
fatalities in many cases, and the following is a list of the final
(but badly-chosen) words spoken by bumbling Terran tourists in ten such
incidents. We believe that some of these are unfortunate errors of
judgement or pronounciation on the part of the Terrans, however, others
indicate simply intolerable rudeness and vulgarity.
This information is provided for you as a courtesy in the hope that your
people may learn by example and avoid any further injuries or deaths.

1. " yIH be'nallI' 'e' vIQub. "
  (" 'IH be'nallI' 'e' vIQub. " jatlhpu' 'e' Hech.)

2. (tachDaq, tlhutlhtaHvIS 'ach taghpa' mu'qaD veS)
   " DaH QuchlIj yIteq! ngebba' neH 'oH. "

3. ('angmeH nItlhDaj lo'taHvIS)
   " rollIjDaq tayqeqmey'e' chenmoHlaw'taH ghewmey! "

4. " pu'HIchvetlh DaroQQo'chugh jIQeHqu'choH! "

5. (HaghtaHvIS) " HIplIj tIn law'qu' porghlIj tIn puS. "

6. " qeng, vavlI' pong wIQoyDI', "butlh" rur qar'a' 'oH ?"

7. " reHmeH puq Doch rur betleHlIj. "

8. " qorwI'mey qempa'pu'lI' 'e', qar'a'? "

9. " waqmeywIj vISay'moHmeH DaSpu'lIj vIlo' 'e' HIchaw'. "

10. " puqbe'lI' vIje' vIneH. "

Translations follow:

1. "I think that your wife is a tribble."
   (He meant to say "I think that your wife is beautiful.")

2. (In a bar, while drinking but before "mu'qaD veS" had started)
   "Now take off your forehead. Obviously it is only a fake."

3. (While pointing)
   "Bugs appear to be building *civilisations* in your beard!"

4. "If you don't put down that phaser, I will become very angry!"

5. (While laughing) "Your uniform is too big for you."
   (lit: "Your uniform is much bigger than your body.")

6. "Kang, your father's name sounds like "dirt under the fingernails",
   doesn't it?"

7. "Your betleH looks like a child's toy."

8. "Isn't it true that your ancestors were scavengers?"
   (All suffixes used as written.)

9. "Allow me to use your boot spike to clean my shoes."

10. "I want to buy your daughter."

Paul Mackie.

Back to archive top level