tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 17 06:52:05 1994

Re: Accidents...

> According to Goran Topic:
> >
> > I am writing a series of articles on Klingon in our local fanzine, and
> > here is one clip:
>
> Most of these are good, but...
>
> > sitting in his lap: "Gooo... Gooo... Jiha(*)! Ho, Ho, Ho!"
> > (*: 'Jiha' is an exclamation in Croatian used by horsemen to get the horse
> > going. It is often used in games involving simulation of riding.)
> > Of course, the Klingon officers wondered what could have the one year old
> > done to deserve to be killed in mirth! <ghu, ghu jIHoH, / HoH, HoH, HoH!>
>
> jIHoH means "I kill." It says nothing about WHO or WHAT I kill.
> It just means, "I kill," similar in sense to saying, "I play
> guitar," or "I collect stamps." It would seem very natural for
> an elder Klingon to make such a boast before a youngster. I
> doubt Klingon overhearing this would find it surprising at all.
> As for the {ghu}s, I'm less sure. I don't have TKD with me and
> I mostly remember it as "situation", though I think I remember
> it having some other meaning... "infant" or something?
>
> charghwI'
> --
> muneH "Paramount", 'ach wej Sov chaH

Qu'vatlh! moHaqmey' vImuSqu'! Yes... That does throw my story in the dustbin...
But as for {ghu}s, I gather ghu is baby, and ghu' situation. Correct me if not.
BTW, how would one say diminutive baby? ghuoy? With two vocals together?
Or is there somewhere a rule covering that? Thanks.
--
	Qapla' qoranvo'
--

Back to archive top level