tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 17 03:49:17 1994

Re: Accidents...

According to Goran Topic:

> I am writing a series of articles on Klingon in our local fanzine, and
> here is one clip:

Most of these are good, but...

> In one situation the terrible Klingons came to consider the meek Terrans
> quite barbaric in customs, observing this:
> During the Christmas party on a Federation cruiser they noticed one
> Federation officer in an uncomfortably warm red uniform, talking to a child
> sitting in his lap: "Gooo... Gooo... Jiha(*)! Ho, Ho, Ho!"
> (*: 'Jiha' is an exclamation in Croatian used by horsemen to get the horse
> going. It is often used in games involving simulation of riding.)
> Of course, the Klingon officers wondered what could have the one year old
> done to deserve to be killed in mirth! <ghu, ghu jIHoH, / HoH, HoH, HoH!>

jIHoH means "I kill." It says nothing about WHO or WHAT I kill.
It just means, "I kill," similar in sense to saying, "I play
guitar," or "I collect stamps." It would seem very natural for
an elder Klingon to make such a boast before a youngster. I
doubt Klingon overhearing this would find it surprising at all.
As for the {ghu}s, I'm less sure. I don't have TKD with me and
I mostly remember it as "situation", though I think I remember
it having some other meaning... "infant" or something?

charghwI'
--
muneH "Paramount", 'ach wej Sov chaH

Back to archive top level