tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 08 06:35:03 1994

Klingon sentences (was: for beginners)

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Mon, 06 Jun 94 20:51:02 -0700

>) | I like ~mark's convention: {qaStaHvIS poH nI'} "While a long
>) | time happens".

>Say, how come {taH} is part of the above verb?  Why couldn't
>one get away with {qaSvIS poH nI'} for the same thing?  What
>does {qaSvIS poH nI'} mean if not "While a long time happens"?

I'm so badly behind on this list; I hope I'm not being too redundant.

See Section 4.2.9 of your dictionary.  Page 43, at the bottom.  It says
that "-vIS" is always used along with "-taH".  I try to think of them as
sort of a compound suffix, "-taHvIS".  OK, "-neS" could intervene, but how
common is "-neS" anyway?

>Thanks,
>--steve

~mark