tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 07 04:04:44 1994

Re: tam poHvo'

According to Nancy Polk:

> On Tue, 7 Jun 1994, William H. Martin wrote:
> [edited]
>
> > We do not know what sexual significance Klingons do or do not
> > have for breasts, but since they OBVIOUSLY do exist (in
> > abundance, by the examples of Klingon women we've seen so far),
>
> Abundance?  Granted, I haven't look THAT close, but the women I saw only
> have two apiece.  Perhaps, volume is a bit closer to the idea?
>
> Cordially,
>
> 		[email protected]

Okay, from the Concise Oxford Dictionary, 1976 edition:

abundance (n.) Quantity more than enough, plenty; overflowing
emotion (abundance of the heart); relative quantity or number
(of plants, substances, etc.) present; affluence, wealth; call
undertaking to make nine tricks in solo whist.

To say that they have more than enough is not to imply that
they have more than two. Quantity can be applied to volume as
well as number, implied in the words "relative quantity or
number", since given the priority of concise language in a
dictionary, they would have only used "number" if that sufficed.

For that matter, I assumed that it referred to
mass as much as volume. Heaven forbid that they should float
around for having great volume without an appropriate increase
in mass.

Of course, technically speaking, television offering only
visual and auditory transmission, I have no "hard evidence"
that such a quantity of mass exists, save the seemingly
balistic patterns of motion implying inertia/momentum. Of
course this can be faked, but considering the bad job they
typically do of making large, fallen beams or boulders appear
to have mass on TV in general and on any of the three Star Trek
series in specific, it seems unlikely that the special effects
people would so suddenly "get it right" when it comes to
simulating the motion of significant masses of members of the
cast.

For those who would argue that the tight binding of their body
armor prevented much motion which could be used as evidence of
such mass, I counter that the evidence I noted related more to
the motion of the entire body during motions and gestures.
These breasts did not seem fake. If they were, the costume
designers should be praised beyond limit. I'd like to special
order such a set for my own use (but that's another matter).

I'll also offer to make the sacrifice to go anywhere any time
in order to attempt further testing by use of sensory data
thusfar impossible to transmit via television. It's a tough
job, but, by God, SOMEONE has to do it. Why not me?

In conclusion, while I may not have chosen the word "abundance"
with a great deal of care during the initial post, having
reviewed its use and considered alternatives, I continue to
believe that abundance was an excellently chosen word. These
Klingon women have breasts in abundance. I'd stake my honor on
it.

None of this is meant to offend anyone, ESPECIALLY the
remarkable actresses who so beautifully portray the power and
the passion of all that is Klingon and the danger of failure to
fully respect the strength of these persons. I would be quite
pleased to watch a strong, flat-chested Klingon woman. They
simply have not, to my recollection, shown us one yet. There
have been more Klingon men with skinny arms than Klingon women
with small breasts. Klingon men have been fat, thin, tall,
short, long haired, bald, elegant or drunkenly, but all Klingon
women have had abundant breasts.

As much as I suffer the same attraction to these appendages as
a remarkably large number of persons of my sex (and many who
are not), I find it much MORE important that the actresses have
the fire in their eyes and the sureness in their voices and
manners that appropriately represent the people of Qo'noS. If
they EVER cast an actress with a chest to die for and a
milktoast disposition, I would be among the first to speak of
how offensive this would be.

Klingon women have power and honor, or they have nothing.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level