tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 01 12:42:30 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: veQ

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh posted:
>>  <yajchu'. ghargh... veQ> (??)
>>  [Understood clearly. Worms... garbage!] ST3 (untranslated)

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh:
> I remember this as {yajchu’, qaH.} stated by the SECOND gunner, whom Qugh
> did NOT refer to as {Ha’DIbaH!}
> When did anybody say {ghargh… veQ}?

That line was from the scene on the Genesis Planet after the Klingon landing party beamed down to search for prisoners.  Here's what I have in my notes for both scenes:

[Bridge of Kruge's Bird of Prey after Kruge has vaporized the over-eager first gunner.]

Torg:    Sir, if it's prisoners you want, there are life signs on the
 	    planet. Perhaps the very scientists you seek.
Kruge:   Very good.

[Genesis Planet, next to Spock's empty coffin, now full of snakes, maggots, etc. (i.e. microorganisms affected & amplified by the Genesis effect?)]

Sgt:     <yajchu'. ghargh... veQ>               (??)
	    [Understood clearly. Worms... garbage!]  (untranslated)

Sgt:     jIyajHa'.  chay' jura'?
	    [I don't understand. What are your orders?]  (untranslated)

Kruge:   meH, naDev qaS wanI' ramqu'.
	    (Bridge, nothing happening here.)

[As the Enterprise enters orbit of the Genesis planet, Kruge quickly returns from the surface to his cloaked Bird of Prey. He enters the bridge.]

Kruge:   may' yIghuH
	  (Battle Alert!)
Kruge:   Report status.
Torg:    We are cloaked. Enemy approaching on impulse power. Range,
         5,000 kellicams.
Kruge:   Good. This is just the turn of luck I have been waiting for.

Maltz:   Range - 3,000 kellicams.
Kruge:   Steady. Continue on impulse power.
Maltz:   Range - 2,000 kellicams.
Kruge:   Stand by to transfer energy to weapons... at my command.

Maltz:   Firing range, sir.
Kruge:   baHwI', DoS yIbuS. QuQ neH. yaj'a'?
	     (Gunner: Target engine only - Understood?)
Gunner2: yajchu' qaH
	     (Understood clearly, sir.)

Now that I think about it, it's quite possible the sergeant also said {yajchu' qaH}, which makes more sense here.  IIRC there were large writhing snakey things in the coffin, so maybe that influenced my transcription.  If anyone has a copy of ST3, could they look at that scene again and check?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons