tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 01 07:33:39 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: veQ

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, May 01, 2015
>
> Klingon word: veQ
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: garbage

  <yajchu'. ghargh... veQ> (??)
  [Understood clearly. Worms... garbage!] ST3 (untranslated)

  logh veQDaq bachchugh, yoH 'e' toblaHbe' SuvwI'
  Shooting space garbage is no test of a warrior's mettle. (ST5 notes)

  jogh veQ lungIv
  They patrol the quadrant garbage. KGT

Used as an epithet in the KCD novelization ("Star Trek: Klingon" [STK]):

  Then speaking to Pok, but looking directly into Vok's face,
  [K'Tar] said, "Throw this {veQ} out." (STK 23f)

  "Get this {veQ} off my bridge." (STK 106)

  "When we catch this {veQ} of a bartender," I said to Pok, "I will let
   you have the honor of killing him." (STK 107)

  Qua'lon jumped to his feet, clearly outraged. "The wife of the {veQ}
  who killed my brother may not enter the House of SepIch." (STK 166)

veQDuj  	garbage scow (n)

  veQDuj 'oH DujlIj'e'
  Your ship is a garbage scow! TKD

Compare {veQ} with {DI} "litter, rubble, debris" (n):

  qatlh Dat DI tu'lu' tlhIngan
  Why is there rubble everywhere, Klingon? CK

  vaj toDuj Daj ngeHbej DI vI'
  Shooting space garbage is no test of a warrior's mettle.
  ["Sharpshooting of the cosmos' litter inconclusively
   tests a warrior's courage."] ST5/TKW

TREK TRIVIA:

"We can wallow like a garbage scow..." (TOS "Elaan of Troyius")

In 2367 a 300-year old unmanned waste vessel leaking radioactive waste assumed orbit around Gamelan V. (TNG "Final Mission")

SEE ALSO:

pIgh 		ruins (n)
pugh 		dregs (n)
chuvmey 	leftovers (n)

tlhuch 	exhaust [i.e. waste products]) (v)
woD  		throw away, throw (out) (v)
polHa' 	discard (v)

He'So'  	stink (v)
ngIm		be putrid (v)