tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 15 07:32:49 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: moQbara'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, June 14, 2015
>
> Klingon word: moQbara'
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: martial arts form, *Mok'bara*

  moQbara' 'ay'mey bota'ta'
  You have both finished the forms of the *mok'bara* (PB 104-5)

TKW 8:  Though Klingons have a vast array of power weapons, the purest form of combat is hand-to-hand. Fighting in such close proximity to one another, a beard may be thought of by some as a disadvantage since one of the combatants may grab onto the beard of the other and draw him closer. To wear a beard, and long hair for that matter, shows that one is both brave and confident--willing to give the opponent the upper hand, and secure that one's own skills are superior.

PB, paq'raD, Canto 3 (footnote):  *Mok'bara* ({moQbara'}) is a Klingon form of martial arts, and the basis of hand-to-hand combat techniques. It can also be deployed in combinations with weapons, such as the *bat'leth* ... It remains uncertain whether Kahless invented *mok'bara* or merely transmitted the techniques that existed before him. However, he must definitely be credited with combining the martial art form with swordplay.

In paq'batlh, lut cherlu', Canto 2, Stanza 4(?), we learn that the a {no' Hol} form of {moQbara'} word is {mu'qberet}:

  [...] mu'qberet tunsroot teqmaa metyanmuq'
  The hearts created [five] forms of mok'bara

The forms of the *mok'bara* (*moQbara' 'ay'mey*) is the subject of paq'batlh, paq'raD, Canto 3.

Worf taught the Mok'bara to his fellow captives at the secret Romulan prison camp in the Carraya System in 2369. The exercises, designed to enhance one's agility in hand-to-hand combat, helped to revive the dormant warrior spirit among the captives there ("Birthright II" [TNG]; STE 207).  Worf explained that the movements were the basis of Klingon hand-to-hand combat. (TNG "Birthright, Pt. II")

Worf taught a Mok'bara class to his Enterprise-D shipmates most mornings at 07:00 (TNG "Man of the People").  Beverly Crusher and Deanna Troi were regular participants, often working out by themselves. (TNG "Second Chances")

Worf also practiced alone, wearing his white Mok'bara workout clothes, in his quarters ro relive tension and stress. (TNG "Birthright I"; cf. ill. TKW 198)

KGT 207:  ... the Klingon verb {mI'} may be translated "dance", but it also means "exercise, do calisthenics, do martial arts movements."

HQ 10.2:  The "finger verbs" are used when talking about specific ways of using a particular device ... or when describing specific ways to use fingers (as in movements in some martial arts). ...{nan} is used to refer to a particularly effective martial arts kick. ...

jaghwI'Daq jIHom
"I use (my) second toe at my enemy (IDIOM: I claim my enemy is unworthy or weak).

HQ 10.2:  The gesture itself is most likely to come up during ritualized martial arts combat (which, incidentally, is often a part of Klingon ballet).

HQ 11.2:  The verb {lol} ["be in a stance/pose"] is also used frequently when talking about martial arts. In fact, there is a noun {lol} that refers to a specific position in the martial arts form Mok'bara.

The *KoH-man-ara* is a move resembling the crane block in tai chi. (TNG "Second Chances")

KGT 59:  There is an extensive vocabulary for the moves associated with bat'leth use. To thrust or lunge toward one's opponent, for example, is {jop}. To deflect a thrust--that is, to parry--is {way'}.  [Although associated specifically with the bat'leth, could {jop} and {way'} also be used WRT Mok'bara?]

SEE ALSO:
tonSaw' 		"Klingon fighting" (N)
Suv 			fight (v)
HIgh 			fight dirty (v)