tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 15 07:20:18 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: pol

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, June 15, 2015
>
> Klingon word: pol
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: keep, save

  nuqDaq yuch Dapol
  Where do you keep the chocolate? TKD

  pollaH pagh polHa'laH
  can either keep it or discard it

KGT 116f.:  This is a way to say "The matter is unimportant" or "It does not make any difference". The phrase is usually used in response to someone who expresses a concern about something, and the it in the translation refers to the matter under discussion. It is sometimes phrased in terms of the speaker, as in {vIpollaH pagh vIpolHa'laH} ("I can either keep it or I can discard it"), or the listener, as in {DapollaH pagh DapolHa'laH} ("You can either keep it or you can discard it").

  polmeH jav QujwI' lIwmey
  6 collectible tokens MKE

  chaw'vam yIpol 'ej SIbI'Ha' yIlo' pagh 'oH yImech
  This card may be kept until needed or traded. MKE

polHa'  		discard KGT (v)

After the spirit has departed the body, Klingon warriors consider the corpse to be only an "empty shell", to be disposed of accordingly (cf. TNG "Heart of Glory")

polmeH pa'  	storeroom KBoP

  Soj polmeH pa'
  food storage [locker/compartment] KBoP

SEE ALSO: