tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 12 20:29:18 2013

[Tlhingan-hol] Story: ghuv = The Recruit - 25

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

Write a sentence in Klingon every day so you can learn more, or don't forget
what you've learned. Or write a story every month, so no one around you
forgets that you are insane.
---
tlhuHmeH ravDaq noghtaH romuluSngan. taj lel torgh 'ej pe'vIl jagh roDaq
cha'logh taj jop. cha' tIqDu' DuQpu'DI' Hegh loD. mIwvetlh ghojmeH qeqpu'
torgh, 'ach not nuv HoHpu'. pIlmoH HoH. SIp SuQmo' HIghpu' 'e' pay, 'a Dun
wanI'.  HoHqa' neHqu'.
---
tlhuHmeH = in order for him to breathe, in order that he breathes

"The Romulan writhes on the floor in order to breathe."

taj lel torgh 'ej pe'vIl jagh roDaq cha'logh taj jop.

First part is your standard OVS sentence.
taj = knife - object
lel = get out, take out - verb
torgh = Torg - our hero, subject

"Torg takes out a knife..."

pe'vIl = forcefully, by force - this adverb has always bothered me a little,
but I don't think I can explain it just now.
jagh roDaq = in the enemy's torso - as soon as you hit -Daq in this sentence
you now the preceding must be a noun phrase giving a location, because the
only way a noun could be stranded out there before a noun with -Daq and not
be part of a noun phrase is if that noun were a time stamp, and jagh is not
a timestamp.
jop = thrust, lunge - one reader didn't like jop having an object.  From one
point of view if taj jop is "he thrusts the knife" then "he lunges" should
be "jop'egh". Similarly if "he lunges" is jop one could argue that "he
thrusts the knife" is "taj jopmoH". I see that point of view, but I'm
comfortable that if jop has no object you can't be sure whether the object
lunged with our without a leading weapon, and if it has an object then you
know the lunge was armed and led with that weapon.

"... and forcefully twice thrusts it into the torso of the enemy."

cha' tIqDu' DuQpu'DI' Hegh loD.

You could start to misread this as "The hearts showed as soon as the man of
death stabbed them." Someone who read it that way would be a little
confused, but they would probably still figure out that Torg had killed the
Romulan via grievous harm to his hearts, so they could carry on. It meant:

"When he has pierced the two hearts, the man dies." - vulcanoids have two
hearts, right?

mIwvetlh ghojmeH qeqpu' torgh, 'ach not nuv HoHpu'.

mIwvetlh = that procedure
ghojmeH = in order that he learns [it]

Stabbing Romulans to death is obviouslt part of basic training.

"Torgh had drilled hard in order to learn that procedure, but he had never
killed a person."

pIlmoH HoH.

pIl = be inspired
HoH (noun) = killing - not just a verb. You know it has to be a noun here,
because otherwise the sentence would have two main verbs and they wouldn't
be stuck together with anything.

"The killing inspires him."

SIp SuQmo' HIghpu' 'e' pay, 'a Dun wanI'.

SIp SuQmo' = because of the toxic gas - here -mo' is a noun suffix, even
though it's on a verb, because that verb is acting adjectivally so it
carries the N5 suffix for its noun. If this were the verb suffix -mo', it
would have to be witten <SuQmo' SIp> = "because the gas is toxic"

HIgh = fight dirty

"He regrets that he fought dirty, on account of the toxic gas, but the event
is wonderful."

HoHqa' neHqu'

HoH has a verb suffix, so it must be the verb kill.

Here you have two verbs piled up together with no glue, but the second  verb
is neH, which acts as its own glue.

"He really wants to kill again." or translate neHqu' with some of English's
surplus vocabulary. "He yearns/craves to kill again." Any word than means
"wants a lot" is a valid translation there.

So, farmboy likes killing Rommies. To be continued.

- Qov