tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 10 06:19:10 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] "Today is a good day to be that guy"

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Ghunchu'wI':
> Is "be that guy" supposed to imply "act like a jerk"? I always thought it
> referred to someone doing or saying something that most people already
> were thinking.
>
> If "act like a jerk" is the intended idea, don't we have a verb for it?
> I'm thinking {nguq} "be arrogant", or {Qaq} "behave in a falsely honorable
> fashion". {Qaqlu'meH QaQ jajvam}

HQ 12.3 p.8-9:  {Qaq} "behave falsely honorably, behave in a falsely honorable manner} ... is used in cases where one misrepresents oneself in order to be accorded honor one is not entitled to, and in that way it is different from {toj} "deceive" and {ghet} "pretend", neither of which has this kind of connection to honor ... Maltz mentioned one noun associated with these verbs, {DavHam}, which he defined simply as "false honor", but which really covers the same semantic ground as both {HoQ} ["be honored falsely, be falsely honorable"] and {Qaq} (but not really {mIl} ["be formerly honored"]) ...
  The notion of 'too big for one's britches' (be too haughty or arrogant for one's status) as well as that of 'commit hubris' (be presumptuous or arrogant) might best be rendered in Klingon not by {HoQ} ["be honored falsely, be falsely honorable"] but by {nguq} "be arrogant, haughty, conceited" an undesirable trait. To be {Hem} "proud", however, is quite admirable and does not carry any connotations of arrogance as the Federation Standard words proud and pride sometimes do. The noun {'eDjen} refers to a person who is arrogant or haughty.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons