tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 01 19:09:32 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: naj

On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Bellerophon, modeler
<[email protected]> wrote:
> {nab Qagh} /grammar error/ (A more experienced speaker's usage would avoid confusion where nouns and verbs are identical in form. Perhaps {nabwIj Qaghmey} /errors in my grammar/)

The confusion here stems not from the identically-spelled words, but
from the fact that you used the wrong word entirely. {nab} is "plan",
while what you wanted is {pab} "grammar". (Actually, I think you could
easily have left that word off and still expressed the idea perfectly
well.)

> {'e' vIppIHbe' jInajtaHvIS je} /that (previous sentence) I didn't expect,
> while dreaming, too/

It seems you've developed a habit of doubling letters, or even
tripling them -- you also wrote {qetttlhup}. I'm out of practice in
reading Klingon typos, so I hadn't figured out what you meant before I
read the English.

> (I wanted to work the word of the day back into the
> thread, and fell back on a cliche, "not even in my dreams." I considered
> {neH} instead of {je}, but it seemed like that would mean my lack of
> expectation is restricted to dreams.

Try {...vabDot jInajtaHvIS} "even while I am dreaming". We're not
completely sure how {vabDot} works yet, but I think it's a reasonable
guess that it is an adverbial that means pretty much what you want.
We've only seen it at the beginning of a sentence. (It might also be a
noun, but how that would work is less clear.)

> Is it just me (you'll probably say it
> is, Qov) or is there a shortage of adverbials?

There is certainly a limited number of them, but I wouldn't call it a shortage.

-- ghunchu'wI'