tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 04 08:22:29 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Story: ghuv = The Recruit - 20

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Qov:
>> SIp botwI' = gas blocker, gas preventer - you don't know what this is
>> on first read and I don't expect you to. I hope context and detail
>> will make it clear.

De'vID:
> I understood this to mean "gas mask" on first read. However, I'm not sure
> {bot} is the right verb here, since it doesn't block all gasses, and we
> know that Klingons like to be accurate. Perhaps {SIp SuQ botwI'}? I guess
> what I'd like is a word that means "filter" rather than "block".

{Qan} "protect" might do.  Derived nomina agentis show a fairly wide use in addition to protecting people:

  tal QanwI' 		cannon guard (KBoP)
  DIr QanwI' taS  	suntan lotion (TNK)
  mIn QanwI' 		eyeglasses (TNK)
  mIn QanwI' nguv 	sunglasses (TNK)

As to what it protects... one's lungs perhaps - *{tagh QanwI'}? - although it may not be obvious at first read without mentioning gas.  (Klingons BTW have a third lung, providing extra stamina on the battlefield and is also useful to athletes [VOY "Lineage"].)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons