tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 04 08:26:07 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Story: ghuv = The Recruit - 22

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Qov:
>> 'ol 'eng ghIq SIp botwI'mey tuQmoH maQ, 'eng je.
>> "Cloud verifies it and then he and maQ put on gas masks."

De'vID:
> Also, is {tuQmoH} correct for putting clothes on oneself? I've gotten
> confused with {tuQ}/{tuQmoH} before, but I would've thought it'd just be
> {tuQ} (or maybe {tuQchoH})?[]

tuQ  "wear (clothes)" in canon:

  mIv DaS je tuQ ra'wI'
  The commander is wearing a helmet and a boot. KGT

  qorDu'Daj tuq 'oS Ha'quj'e' tuQbogh wo'rIv
  The sash that Worf wears is a symbol of his family's house. S20

  tuQtaHvIS Hem. ghaHvaD quHDaj qawmoH.
  [Worf] wears it proudly as a reminder of his heritage. S20

There are no examples of {tuQmoH} "dress (i.e. put on [clothes]), but we do have {tuQHa'moH} "undress, take off (clothes)":

  qogh vItuQmoHHa'pu'
  I've taken off my belt (HQ 2.4)

["{qogh} "ear", of course is homophonous with {qogh}, "belt"... This homophony explains why the Klingon slang expression {qogh tuQmoHHa'}, literally "take off one's belt" is used to mean to not hear, for example, {qogh vItuQmoHHa'pu'} "I've taken off my belt; your secret is safe with me." (HQ 2.4) Note that the suffixes in this expression appear in the "wrong" order; one would expect ?{vItuQHa'moHpu'}.]

Any examples of {tuQ} in the pag'batlh?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons