tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 31 06:40:08 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] "Let’s Translate Walter White, Taylor Swift, and More into"... Klingon

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

De'vID:
>> I tried translating "I am the one who knocks" from Breaking Bad a
>> while ago, though there isn't really a single verb AFAIK that
>> encapsulates all the meanings of knock; i.e. hitting a door to make
>> a noise to request entrance.

If you don't like the general verb {qIp} "hit (with hand, fist, implement)", try {tlhaw'}:

KGT 74-5:  The general term for a percussion instrument of any kind is {'In}. Some types of {'In} are struck with the hand, either palm ({toch}) or fist ({ro'}), depending on the particular instrument. To hit the instrument with the palm is {weq}; to strike it with the fist is {tlhaw'} ... To strike the instrument with a stick is to {moq} (beat) the instrument.

AFAIK none of these verbs have been used in a sentence, but we know that one of these is used metaphorically:

KGT 69:  When the parties [to a duel] are ready, a third party, sort of a referee, says {moq}, the signal to begin. The verb {moq} literally means "beat" and it is a clipped form of, perhaps, {vImoq} ("I beat it") or even {vImoqpu'} ("I have beaten it"). In times past, one would hit something (such as a drum) with a stick to indicate the start of the duel; today, one simply says the word "beat".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons