tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 18 01:55:41 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Bing Translator URL

Michael Everson ([email protected])

On 15 May 2013, at 14:51, Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:

> The program correctly translated "Bing Translator" as {bing mughwI'}, though I think I'd prefer to call its "translations" *{Bing Hol} or even better *{Bingan Hol} vs. {tlhIngan Hol})!

A nice opportunity to point out that Okrand's 1980's "capitalization helps actors" orthography is past its sell-by date.

You'd have to write *{bIng Hol}, wouldn't you?

I remain convinced that there's no reason Klingon orthography shouldn't be able to use capital letters in the normal way. All that needs to be done is to substitute "x" for "Q" (or to use a diacritic like q̂ or q̌) and introduce the use of the hyphen or extend the use of the apostrophe to disambiguate "gh" across morpheme boundaries.

The most important reason to do this is the fact that q and Q are the same letter in terms of data treatment on computers. A nice reason is that it would permit nice-looking typography.

But you'll all grumble and tell me that you like Okrand's "weird" orthography even though it's dysfunctional. {{:-) You always do… {{:-)

Of course, if you all gave the Latin orthography up and started using Piqad (or pIqaD) there'd be a hope of getting that in to Unicode.