tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 22 01:44:23 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] teSwIj nIH

De'vID ([email protected])

Qov:
> Note that nIH is a noun, so teSwIj nIH would be "the right side of my ear".
>
> I have a suspicion nIH and poS work like 'em and tlhop, meaning that one would say jIH nIH teS - the ear of my right side. Perhaps that is just a hyper correction by someone trying not to sound Krotmagian.

Interesting. Before you mentioned dialects, my instinct was to go with
{nIHwIj teS} "the ear of my right side". But if I understand how
directional nouns work in {ta' Hol}, it should be {jIH nIH teS} as you
say, assuming {poS} and {nIH} work like {'em} and {tlhop}.

What is the Krotmagian way of doing this? {nIHwIj teS}?

Qov:
> Also, when you use the prefix mu- the object of the verb is me, not the previous sentence. You're trying to use a sentence as subject there.
>
> tugh 'oy'be'choH teSlIj 'e' vItul. 'oy' DaSIQtaHvIS tlhIngan yIDa: 'oy' yItIv.

I read {ghaytan tugh Qel vISuch 'e' mupoQ} as a prefix trick, with an
implicit subject: {ghaytan tugh Qel vISuch, jIHvaD/jIH'e' 'e' poQ
[ghu']}.

--
De'vID